Dedicated web hosting plans are designed to provide businesses with the ultimate in terms of flexibility and uptime through the dedicated hosting environment that is offered; this environment isn’t shared with anyone else and you will have access to your own dedicated resources so that you can keep an eye on the performance of your own hosting environment, enabling you to make changes where required to improve performance. Dedicated hosting plans in a cloud environment will provide you with a virtual dedicated environment; although you will be sharing the cloud with other users, you will still have your own virtual machines that provide you with a dedicated environment which cannot be accessed by anyone else. Although a majority of VPS hosting plans and dedicated servers can offer high levels of uptime, a cloud web hosting service will be able to beat this by offering you a 100% uptime guarantee meaning that you will never have to worry about servers crashing or your website being inaccessible; a large number of businesses now rely on the internet to provide them with a source of income and so this high uptime guarantee is seen as being one of the main attractions of cloud web hosting. Cloud hosting plans are available from hosting companies that usually offer dedicated web hosting services, with many offering migration assistance; if your existing dedicated hosting provider offers cloud hosting then they should be more than willing to assist you with the transfer of your data. Furthermore, there are also specialist cloud hosting providers available that can provide you with a more tailored hosting experience designed to meet your own individual needs.
Benefits of Choosing Dedicated Hosting Over Cloud Hosting
There are several benefits available when choosing a dedicated hosting plan over a cloud web hosting plan, including:
- Hardware configurations – dedicated servers can offer a wide array of configuration options, allowing you to develop a very powerful server that will always be more powerful than what a virtual server in a cloud environment can offer you – the physical manifest of a dedicated server allows you to add and remove hardware as you wish, with multiple hard drives being one of the simplest configuration changes available and multiple processors being a more advance choice – any good web hosting provider will be able to offer you these different hardware configurations by allowing you to specify exactly what you want during the order process to ensure that the server that is provisioned for you matches your own specific needs and requirements
- Choice of operating system – with a dedicated server you will have a much wider range of operating systems to choose from as your web hosting provider will be able to install any OS that you wish to provide them with, as long as you hold a license if required – with most cloud virtual machines you are usually reduced to using the OS templates that have been provided by your web hosting company, something that can prove to be limiting for businesses that may have their own customized versions of Linux, for example – another example of a scenario where this may come in handy is where your business has its own Windows Server volume license, meaning that you can use your license across multiple servers as this will allow you to pay a reduced fee for each license – doing this will allow you to save money on your overall dedicated server hosting bill as you won’t have to pay for your web hosting company for the OS license
- Load balancing – if you choose to use multiple dedicated servers then a number of different network configurations, such as load balancing, can be implemented to improve the reliability of the system and to ensure that load spikes can be handled effectively – load balancing is designed to treat multiple servers as a single system, therefore allowing you to improve the uptime and performance of your hosting environment and when you rely on your website to provide you with a source of income, you will find this resource to be indispensable – although this configuration will be able to provide you with 100% uptime like a cloud server hosting service, it should be noted that it is a rather expensive option.
What are the benefits of choosing a cloud hosting plan over a dedicated hosting plan?
There are also several benefits to choosing a cloud server over a dedicated server, some of which include:
- Pricing – dedicated servers are notoriously expensive and one of the main reasons that businesses choose to use cloud virtual machines is for the lower costs – as there are going to be multiple users hosted in the cloud, web hosting companies are able to offer their cloud hosting plans rather cheaply and where you have the facility to choose the specific resource assignments that you need, you have the opportunity to make further savings
- Management – it can be argued that virtual machines in the cloud are easier to manage than dedicated servers as you are provided with access to a web-based control panel through which you will be able to control the state of your virtual machines and purchase additional resources as necessary – with a dedicated server you are often stuck to having to manage your server directly through SSH, making it very important for you to be competent with the various SSH commands that exist and what the function of each individual command is – you can also come to expect a good level of support from your chosen web hosting company.
In conclusion, although a dedicated server can offer you a number of different advanced hardware configurations that you can use to your benefit, many businesses are still choosing to use cloud hosting services instead. Cloud virtual machines provide you with the facility to add additional resources to your hosting environment as and when necessary to cope with load spikes for example, guaranteeing that you only ever need to pay for what you are going to be using and nothing more.